Tuesday, October 25, 2011

U2 To End Their Career Soon?! (Rumor)


Oh NME. You've given us odd lists of the 150 greatest songs of the past 15 years (I do agree with your #1 though) as well as reason to believe that Peter Hook may one day hunt his former New Order bandmates down in a cabin. And as of this afternoon, you've floated out reason to believe an event I've vaguely anticipated for awhile might happen sooner than I thought. That event? The potential end of Irish rock legends U2.

I've made my opinions on U2 very clear in the past - to summarize, one of my first-ever favorite bands had in my eyes become very, very douchey, and I was understandably displeased with that. Which is why it's very weird that apparently the band itself has long been mulling over some of the precise reasons WHY I thought they'd become douchey. For example:

"The singer [Bono] has admitted the Irish four-piece, who are set to re-issue their 1991 album 'Achtung Baby' on Monday (October 31), have become irritated by him questioning the relevance of the rock veterans in the current musical climate. He told Rolling Stone magazine: 'I'm not so sure the future hasn't dried up. The band are like, 'Will you shut up about being irrelevant?' We'd be very pleased to end on [2009 studio album] 'No Line On The Horizon' [but] I doubt that.'"


The article goes on to showcase guitarist The Edge's ambivalence about returning next year now that they've completed their 360 World Tour, and then it ends with some douchery about Bono wanting to disappear for awhile with his family, acoustic guitar, and iPod Nano (Really dude? You're a billionaire and you rock a Nano?).

Given the recent ends of bands like R.E.M. and (let's just confront it now) the possible end of Sonic Youth, it's definitely worth seriously considering a world without any new music from U2 and taking stock of how we feel about that. And for all my love of the band in their heyday, I've long since made my peace with the fact that they're never going to make another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby (the latter of which is getting remixed by some big name contemporaries in honor of its 20th anniversary.) Which is sort of sad in an odd and admittedly nostalgic way, but less so when you once again consider how South Park put it in one of their best episodes:

No comments:

Post a Comment